[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 3 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Dec 5 10:12:22 EST 2011

tom wrote:

 > > > This won't be fixed in B1 or C1, but is expected to be fixed in C2.
 > >
 > > I should have fixed that on your laptops before sending them down.
 > > Have anybody handy with a soldering iron ?   You just need to short
 > > four sets of pads to fix it on a B1/C1....
 >
 > I can probably do this -- I have +4 glasses, a fine tipped iron and
 > experience with surface mount. How small are the pads?

pretty tiny.  the good news is that you're _trying_ to short two
adjacent tiny pads, which as we all know, is much easier than _not_
shorting them.  :-)

pictures here:
    http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/kbd_resistors/

i'd just look at "small.jpg" and "cropped.jpg" unless you have a
fast connection.  "huge" is just the big version of "small".

the pads to jump are R352 and R354.  (those are all 0-ohm resistors
for the benefit of the automatons that apply them in the factory.
they're really just jumpers.)

i did this board (poorly -- i don't have wad's or richard's mad
soldering skilz) under a scope, and used wire to form the jumpers.
but i did another one just blobbing on the solder.

paul