[OLPC New Zealand] [Testing] Testing Summary: 3 December 2011 - Auckland, New Zealand

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Mon Dec 5 07:11:25 EST 2011

On Dec 5, 2011, at 5:13 AM, Tom Parker wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-12-05 at 03:45 -0500, John Watlington wrote:
>
>> So, yes, the "grid" keyboard is slightly harder to touch type on, but
>> will hopefully help keep the kids from peeling the keys off the
>> membrane.
>
> We have some tame primary school children -- we may be able to obtain a
> review of extended use of the grid keyboard? Is grid keyboard the
> official name?

I only have a very small number of SKU202 units left, but SKU200 (being built
sometime in the next few weeks) will have better tooling for the grid keyboard,
and I can probably get you a couple.
We hope that the final tooling (which includes screws to ensure the grid doesn't
warp up over the keys) feels better than the C1 samples.

Martin will have to confirm that name.  Our internal name has been "option C",
but that has to change.

>>> Good, that means the date and time problems were most likely the
>>> software problems.
>>
>> Please keep an eye on this.   All C1 laptops were shipped with the
>> date set correctly (not to 2000).    If a date is reset to 2000 (not 1970),
>> then it implies that the external RTC chip is somehow getting reset.
>
> We will watch this.
>
> Tabitha initially wrote the report saying essentially that all the
> clocks were broken. Then I modified the report after resetting the
> clocks. We're absolutely sure the clocks were wrong on Saturday but I
> don't know if they were wrong when they arrived on Friday. I reflashed
> them on Friday and we did the firmware update on Saturday. We'll try to
> reproduce the time loss.

Those units had been used in S/R testing in Cambridge, so they
were probably wrong on Friday as well.

> The 3 here (including both C1s) are still correct, Carlos has Bonnie the
> B1 that was misbehaving.

>>> This won't be fixed in B1 or C1, but is expected to be fixed in C2.
>>
>> I should have fixed that on your laptops before sending them down.
>> Have anybody handy with a soldering iron ?   You just need to short
>> four sets of pads to fix it on a B1/C1....
>
> I can probably do this -- I have +4 glasses, a fine tipped iron and
> experience with surface mount. How small are the pads?

0402, but you are just shorting them, not placing a component.
In order to fix the "first keypress during suspend lost" problem,
you need to short out R351 through R354.   These are located
right next to the keyboard connector.

Cheers,
wad