[olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 25 September 2010

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 09:08:14 EDT 2010

Tabitha et al., this is great. Thanks.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 5:10 AM, Tabitha Roder <tabitha at tabitha.net.nz> wrote:
> Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 25 September 2010
> Who: Fabiana, Calvin, Leslie, Liz, John, Nevyn, Robin, Tabitha, Tom
>
> Wordgroupz:
> failed to start, both copying to journal and trying to start from USB on
> os373pyg, got logs
> Tried on build 852 but it still didn't work
> No icon appears in the activity ring on either build
>
> --
>
> Tested backup-4 and restore-3 on 2 XO-1.0s with 1 USB stick
> Backup: you have to choose the storage device then press the button that
> looks like keep
> it then says "backing up Journal to /media... etc
> Shows x/x number of files but gives no message to say when backup is
> complete, it did create a backup onto the usb and named it with the XO name
> and some numbers with .xmj extension
> Restore: opened activity and it says "no bundle selected. please close this
> activity and choose a bundle to restore from the journal"
> Tried to click on the file on the usb that says it is the journal backup for
> this laptop - it seems to open the restore activity but hard to tell as not
> labelled as such in the frame
> found a restore journal button in the activity, clicked it and get the
> message "restoring journal from
> /home/olpc/.sugar/default/data/" a whole lot of numbers then ".xmj"
> - that file location is not the usb drive, so we assume that opening the
> file on the usb is actually copying it to the journal
> Tried to restore the same journal file on another XO but it doesn't let you
> (deliberate we think)
> Second XO Backup: Tried backing up this second XO onto usb, then deleted
> most of journal. Ran the restore and it seems to work but it on both XOs we
> get two copies of the .xmj journal backup file in the Journal.
> Found another option for restore - in the Journal you can use the arrow
> right to get to the kind of more information view (with a preview,
> description and tags) and then where the play button (start)
> is a drop down option of restore appears
> Basically they worked, though it was a bit confusing that you don't open
> restore and then choose the file on the USB.  Some instructions for the user
> might be helpful - when you open the backup activity would be good to click
> a question mark and see explanation of activity, like what happens in the
> finance activity. Also, there was no obvious notification that the backup
> file creation was completed.
>
> --
>
> Turtle Art 99
> First a question - what is the difference between turtle art and turtle
> blocks?

Sorry about the confusion. Turtle Art is a limited subset of Turtle
Blocks, forked off about 6 months ago. I should have asked you to test
Turtle Blocks, which is what you did, in any case.

> Installed on os373pyg XO-1.0 and a few os852 XO-1.0s - seems to rename
> itself to turtle blocks

The .xo bundle I sent you is for Turtle Blocks, but for reasons of
compatibility for updates, it is named turtleart.xo (Turtle Art is
named turlteartmini.xo)

> Found some XOs have a different display to others, on build 852 it has menus
> and on build 373pyg it has buttons.

373pyg uses Sugar 0.88, which has the new  "button" toolbars.
852 uses Sugar 0.84, which uses the menu toolbars.

Turtle Blocks tries to use the buttons, but will revert to menus when
the buttons are not available.

> There is no erase option on the turtle
> activity in the list view of all the activities in dextrose 373pyg, however
> there is an erase option for turtle activity on os852. Although they are
> both showing as version 99 they are different which is a bit confusing.

This is also due to changes in Sugar. Since Turtle Blocks is part of
the "Fructose" collection, it is in a list of activities that can be
updated, but not erases. Earlier versions of Sugar allow any activity
to be erase, which classroom teachers found to be problematic. The
idea is to let the teachers maintain a list of required activities;
Turtle Blocks is on the default list.

> Moving the blocks around we were not sure what to do if you could not see
> the start block anymore (dragged off the screen and it is hidden by the
> buttons).

Blocks won't move unless you move them, so I am not sure what you mean here.

The screen itself will scroll, so perhaps you scrolled in such a way
that the blocks were off screen? Or perhaps the palette (yellow box of
blocks) was on top of them?

You can hide the palette (with a button on the palette toolbar) or
with the red and white icon on the palette itself. You can recenter
the screen with the Full Screen button or the scroll bars to the right
and bottom of the screen.

> Tried using the full screen option, hide/show blocks, didn't help.

Maybe hide/show blocks should recenter the screen. I'll play with it.

> Found resize so blocks very big helped, then dragged them about before
> resizing back to small blocks. It would be good if there was a limit to the
> location of blocks or if you could change your view coordinates or if there
> was a reset blocks to left/right/middle button, or a resize blocks to fit
> the screen button (perhaps in the view tab).

The reason for adding scrolling is for supporting larger projects, so
if the blocks always moved with the screen, you couldn't take
advantage of the extra space. I like the idea of rescaling so that
everything fits. I'll play around with that idea.

> Tried to test turtle art / blocks 99 in german and spanish but there is no
> german and there are lots of spanish options. Guessed a Spanish translation
> to test.
>
> Here is Fabiana's report on turtle art:
>>
>> Loads as turtle blocks. It was a bit confusing at first.
>> Created a path, and moved it up, but the 'start' went off screen and now I
>> have
>> Set language to Spanish (argentina). Repeated with setting language to
>> Spanish (Bolivia).
>> On actividad tab, mouse over on the turtle icon on top reads "tortuga
>> alenta' I guess it is meant to say 'tortuga lenta' (slow turtle)
>> On the turtle palette, block labelling: The clean button reads 'limpia'
>> which is not an infinitive. (the infinitive is 'limpiar') while the rest of
>> the verbs are in infinitive.
>> In the colour palette black and white show as 'black' and 'white' instead
>> of 'negro' and 'blanco'
>> In the  'box' pallette 'turtle shell' not translated
>> In the 'journal' palette: 'oculta bloques', oculta is not an infinitive,
>> should be 'ocultar'
>> In the help menu, the mouseover on the turtle pen etc is not fully
>> translated: Eg: torguga: paleta the comandos de la tortuga is ok, but then I
>> get pen: paleta de ordenes de la pluma (should read pluma: paleta de ordenes
>> de la pluma) The only one fully translated is the 'turtle' one.
>> Opened a file that i had created and saved in 'english' it loads already
>> translated to spanish. (which is good)

Fabianna, thanks for your detailed review of the Spanish translation.
I've made some updates here:

http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/attachment/ticket/2374/TurtleArt-99.xo

-walter

--