[olpc-nz] 2 Chch laptops now in Wellington

Gregory Baker gbaker555 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 19:01:11 EDT 2010

Hello Tabitha

I'm from Jamaica and am doing a PhD at Canterbury U. While I was at the University of the West Indies in JA, I was active in olpc-Jamaica and was involved in the preparation for an XO rollout at an inner-city school that has been implemented this summer and helped initiate a project at a Teachers' college that is now underway. I also coordinated the OLPC booth for our project at a UWI research exhibition.

Sameer Verma from SFSU put me in touch with Brenda Wallace back in July. I got an email from someone named Jeremy from the list after Brenda put my name out, but I haven't been able to get back in touch with him. I had no idea that there were laptops which had been sent to Christchurch (I returned the laptop I had to olpc-ja when I left for NZ) and don't even know where they would have been 'sent' to :/.

I'm surprised there seems to be no group in South Island. I do know there's an active community of IT professionals - including developers - in Christchurch. I'm a member of the New Zealand Computer Society and we have regular technology briefings that are well attended by people who may well wish to get involved in the project. Could someone from olpc-nz come to one of our meetings to present on OLPC and say what the NZ chapter is involved in and what opportunities there are to get involved (under 'broadening awareness')? Please let me know, if so. I'd be happy to try to arrange it on this end.

Lerc's work looks fascinating and I'd like to see more of what he's doing, if he doesn't mind. I'm not a developer but I'm always interested in seeing new stuff, and I'm sure his reasons for using something other than Sugar would be interesting as well.

Finally, please do let me know if you decide to re-do the Christchurch deployment. I asked Brenda about availability of laptops when I joined and suspect that there are IT pros and students on Campus who might be interested if they were introduced to the project, but my experience has been that it's a lot easier to get people interested when they can see the laptops in action.

Peace

Greg Baker