[olpc-nz] 2 Chch laptops now in Wellington

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Mon Sep 20 16:42:23 EDT 2010

Hi Greg

We have been loaned laptops by olpc foundation to assist globally by testing
Sugar and its activities on olpc hardware. We can also use these laptops for
broadening awareness of the olpc initiative by taking them to events and
conferences so people can try them out and ask us questions.

Martin (olpc's School Server Architect) and I sent two laptops to
Christchurch and they were not used. So they went back to Wellington. We
tried again and sent two laptops back to Christchurch but again they were
not used. This was the unfortunate reality of the last two years trying to
get a Christchurch testing community setup. These two laptops sat idle for
months on end while the testers in Wellington and Auckland who did turn up
every week and devote significant hours to the project were without the
benefit of having XO hardware in front of them.

There is someone who owns an XO laptop who lives in Christchurch. He goes by
the nickname "lerc" and can be found at screamingduck. If you are looking
for a real name, I believe it is Neil Graham. He does some interesting
things - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58UmxHryq8E - with his XO. Lerc does
not run Sugar on his XO.

If there was a chance that Christchurch is ready for attempt number 3 then
we can look at sending some XOs back. The rules for having XOs are that the
tester/event-hopper reports back each week on what they are doing with the
XO. If people want to get involved, then starting with Sugar on a Stick or
running Sugar in virtual box and starting to talk regularly on the mailing
list with us is a good place to begin.

Tabitha