[olpc-nz] Fwd: [OLPC-AU] New XO-1.5 image for testing

Tabitha Roder tabitha at tabitha.net.nz
Tue Oct 26 15:16:25 EDT 2010

Sorry Tim, but I disagree with you and I chose not to write that last email
on a public list for a reason. Now it is in public I will explain. Please
remember that emails lack the emotion that people feel and can easily be
misinterpreted - I will assume you did not mean the tone that I read in your
email.

The testing mailing list is EXACTLY where ALL test requests should be
discussed - that is the purpose in having the testing mailing list. I have
just met around 125 people and can confirm that loads of these people follow
the testing mailing list and learn from what is posted there, there were
huge numbers of thank you's expressed because of what is written on that
mailing list. http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_New_Zealand/Test_Requests is a
New Zealand wiki page, not a global page that all of olpc and Sugarlabs
looks at. We are perfectly capable of adding things to our wiki page for us
to manage our own tests but I am not comfortable with us asking thousands of
volunteers to use this wiki page which is for our own management.

I think the years of effort and commitment I have put into olpc and
Sugarlabs doesn't make me a likely candidate for undermining anything but I
am a realistic and know the reality is that if we want to interact with
developers we go to them, and if we want to interact with deployments we go
to them, not the other way around. We are all busy and we do need a system
that works, but we are not there yet, which means we do what is required to
ensure we meet the global community needs.

We can discuss this further and should, with the benefits of children who
use Sugar as our central focus point.

Tabitha