[olpc-nz] Critical issue - testing required

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Fri Oct 15 09:44:53 EDT 2010

Hey all,

We at OLPC Australia have come across a critical issue, and we'd
really appreciate some assistance from the community in testing the
fix.

It seems that some XOs suspended and placed in charging racks are
waking each other up. This has led to overheating in some units - to
the point where the plastic warps and the screens become damaged.

OLPC have come up with a solution - a new version of olpc-powerd:

  http://dev.laptop.org/~pgf/rpms/olpc-powerd-29-1.fc11.i586.rpm
  md5sum 285753a1a54999b7dc58508020b1f184

It has been tested on an XO-1.5, but it has not had wider community testing.

We would be very grateful if we could have some help in testing it on
two different builds:

  * on our latest XO-AU build (most important for us)
  * on OLPC's os852 (helpful for OLPC)

XO-AU is based on OLPC's os85x, and is what we intend to use in
Australian schools. For more information:

  http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-au/2010-October/000087.html
  http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/olpc-au/2010-October/000101.html

Feel free to ask me if you require further information to facilitate testing.

Now for some further detail on the problem: