[OLPC-AU] New XO-1.5 image to test

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Sun Oct 10 23:17:30 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-08 at 18:25 -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> Hi Everyone:
>
> There is an zd os image for XO-1.5 to test here:
> http://files.olpcfriends.sunriseroad.net/XO/F11/10.1.2/
>
> This image is based on the 850's series of released images by OLPC,
> with some added or updated rpms that are installed from the custom repo
> in the ini file for olpc-os-builder.
>
> The added rpms are:
> gnome-packagekit,cups,ghostscript,bluez-cups,cups-pk-helper,enscript,
> gutenprint,gutenprint-foomatic,hal-cups-utils,hpijs,hplip,mpage,
> system-config-printer,a2ps,cups-pdf,samba-client,gvfs-smb
>
> check os361.packages.txt for a complete listing.
>
> Extra activities are from:
>
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/downloads/file/26755/GComprisClickgame-13.xo
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~sridhar/olpc/activities/Musicpainter-2.xo
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~sridhar/olpc/content/turtleblocks-gettingstarted.xol
>
> check os361.activities.txt for a complete listing.
>
> The adobe flash module as been enabled in this build, and there is an errand repo
> entry, this has been fixed for the next build.
>
> Other olpc-os-builder files that differ have been included in their
> respective modules directory. The base/*.inc file was changed to a
> larger partition size due to the extra rpms and the language set to en_AU.utf8
> The sugar/*.inc has some sugar customizations in it, this is where you might
> want to add entries for proxies. The setAU.sh file can be used to introduce
> information from your host machine that you want in the image, such as
> /etc/hosts.
>
> Thanks for testing,

Here is a quick summary of installing a zd image on an XO-1.5:

The build is installed to the internal microSD device. You will need a
USB drive of at least 1 GB capacity, but only for the duration of the
installation.

ALL USER DATA WILL BE ERASED FROM THE LAPTOP!

      * Prepare the USB drive:
              * Download os361.zd,
              * Save the file to the top directory of the USB drive,
              * Download os361.zsp.fs.zip,
              * Save the file to the top directory of the same USB
                drive,
              * Download os361.sha1,
              * Save the file to the top directory of the same USB
                drive,
              * Verify the files using: sha1sum -c os361.sha1
              * Rename the file to fs.zip, (removing the os361.zsp part
                of the name),
              * Check the USB drive contains at least the two files
                fs.zip and os361.zd.
      * Prepare the laptop:
              * Make a copy of any data you wish to keep,
              * Ensure the battery is in the laptop,
              * Connect the laptop to external power,
              * Turn off the laptop, unless it is already off.
              * Insert the USB drive into any USB port on the laptop,
      * Start installing:
              * Hold down the "check mark"(tick) game key,
              * Turn on the laptop,
              * Wait for the message Release the game keys to continue,
              * Release the game keys,
              * Quickly press ESC (X) to get to the OFW prompt "ok",
              * Type: fs-update u:\os361.zd
              * Installation progress will be displayed. Green colour
                will fill grey blocks. It will take about ten minutes.
              * Once finished remove the USB drive
              * Type: reboot
              * The XO might boot into flash mode, to install new
                firmware, do NOT power off the XO at this point, it
                should auto-reboot when done.

I can put up the matching os361.usb file if anybody is interested in
testing out "olpc-update --usb".

Jerry