[olpc-nz] en-NZ L10N

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Tue May 4 01:47:59 EDT 2010

On 4 May 2010 09:49, Tim McNamara <mcnamara.tim at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 11:14 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan <sridhar at laptop.org.au>
> wrote:
>>
>> On 4 May 2010 08:20, Tim McNamara <mcnamara.tim at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> > We need to think about translating the OLPC strings to New Zealand
>> > English,
>> > especially if we're considering pilot deployments.
>> > Would anyone like to assist with this?
>>
>> How similar is en_NZ to en_AU? Would it be worth collaborating?
>>

>> Maybe we could start with en_GB as a base?
>>

> I agree, en_GB would be a very good base to start with. Generally, en_NZ is
> much closer to en_GB than en_AU. The language set "en" has 0% translation
> ;), which means any progress is good progress. There are 3678 words to
> translate & then review.
> The Pootle server is located at http://translate.sugarlabs.org/. Hop in,
> help out :)

Forgive my ignorance, but how is en_NZ much closer to en_GB than en_AU?

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a language pedant, so I just use en_GB
everywhere. In fact, I started the Ubuntu English Translation group as
part of the Ubuntu en_GB translation team (of which I am an admin, but
haven't done much with in the past few years). Maybe the resources I
put together will be of assistance:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EnglishTranslation

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Technical Co-ordinator