[olpc-nz] [Testing] Wellington Testing Summary - Saturday 27 February

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Mar 4 11:54:15 EST 2010

> Also, Sugar Labs ticket #1641 says that the Speak-12 you tested two
> months ago on our ticket #9945 was since reverted, so presumably the
> newer Speak-12 from 19th February is a different one.

What I have verified is that the latest Speak-12 bundle contains
directory 'zeroinstall'. plus other directories whose names begin with
'.0' or '0' or 'zero'.  My impression was that the intent of including
these functions in the bundle was to give the Activity the ability to
"call home" (if needed, on launch).

> Have you verified that the condition you reported persists?

If the originator of a report were the only person who could close a
report, then I would "track" the conditions I report, and would verify
whether those conditions persisted or not.  Let those who closed #9945
be responsible for whether the condition I described persists.

Please note that when I wrote laptop.org ticket #9945, I did not call
the condition a "defect" --  but rather a "task" to be evaluated (i.e.,
whether Activities which can "call home" OUGHT to be installed on XOs)

The one time I ran the newer Speak-12 (it was not on 802B2), it did not
"call home" - but I assumed that was because all the resources required
by Speak-12 were available without a need to "call home".  But not too
long ago I tested a different recent Activity (whose bundle included
'zeroinstall', etc.) -- and that Activity *did * call home.

I've come to believe that the latest 'zeroinstall' facility has a dual
function -- if any prerequisites (for the Activity being launched) are
missing in the operating system being run, there are *some* modules
pre-packaged within that Activity's 'zeroinstall' facility, and can be
installed without any need to "call home".  The second function -- to
"call home" for modules -- would be used only if the pre-packaged
modules were inadequate.  I do NOT know how an user might be able to
determine (before launch) whether an activity version (that included
'zeroinstall') would/would_not need to do any downloading of additional
files from a remote server.

mikus

p.s.  I notice that today there is version Speak-13 available from ASLO.