[olpc-nz] [Testing] Wellington Testing Summary - Saturday 12 June

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sat Jun 12 01:28:53 EDT 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 04:18:24PM +1200, Alastair Munro wrote:
> Testing os126 on 2 XO 1.5 laptops:
> Only problem we had was the mouse stopping functioning when starting
> write-63, the cursor turned into the text entry type cursor and then
> the mouse would no longer work. We were unable to replicate this
> problem and did not manage to collect any logs.

Sounds like a hardware problem.

> Do the XO1.5 laptops not contain the 802.11-S mesh hardware
> or is their inablility to mesh like the XO-1 a software issue?

There's two features on the XO-1; the 802.11s mesh routing, and the
Sugar "mesh" circles in the neighbourhood view.  Unfortunately they are
easy to conflate.

Yes, the XO-1.5 doesn't currently have 802.11s mesh routing, but it does
have ad-hoc support.  This is a function of the wireless firmware.

Sugar is not currently showing the "mesh" circles on the neighbourhood
view.  They are there in a later version of Sugar, and they set up
ad-hoc networking.  So the user experience is nearly identical.

In place of that, use the Frame key, right-click on the wireless device,
and Create new wireless network.  Then on the other XO join that
network.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/