[olpc-nz] [Testing] Improving the reporting of test results

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Dec 22 01:19:56 EST 2010

I disagree that the community should require bugs to be logged by
testers.

Our volunteer testers should focus on testing first, reporting second,
and bug tracking third.

Several volunteers meet in locations that have no internet service, and
so their write-up is sent after the event.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Reporting_bugs#Quick_and_easy_way:_tell_somebody
says that the first way to report a bug is to tell somebody, thus
transfering the responsibility.

Just post to the mailing list, and someone else should "review what you
said and figure out if anything looks truly interesting, and perhaps
enter into discussion, though we might not say anything about things we
already know about,".  Probably my words.

By focusing on testing first, the greatest amount of testing is done,
and the least time wasted on bug tracking systems and paperwork.

By next focusing on reporting, the test results enter the human system.

Yes, there is a hole between steps 3 and 4, but I don't think it has
anything to do with raising bugs.  I think that for many activities, the
author may not watch the bug tracking system, the mailing lists, and may
never receive the feedback.  The number of duplicate bugs also suggests
this.

Gary said:
> Too be brutally honest, what we are short of is folks with the time,
> ability and motivation to take concrete action, ...

Exactly, I agree.  The number of open bugs with no action is the
clearest possible indication of this.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/