[olpc-nz] [Testing] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 4 December 2010.

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Dec 5 17:17:22 EST 2010

On Sat, Dec 04, 2010 at 04:44:55PM +1300, Tom Parker wrote:
> Broken XO-1.5
> The wifi adapter on Tank is no longer available to the operating
> system.  We suspect it has suffered from the WLAN ESD problem, but at
> yet we haven't positively identified which XO-1.5 preproduction
> version it is.  See
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.5_WLAN_ESD_protection for details. We
> will take it apart and examine the motherboard next week and
> positively identify what we have and whether we need to fix all the
> others we have.

The serial number of Tank is SHC005008D1, and this is in the affected
range according to the serial numbers of the same units I have.

Capturing the output of "test /wlan" may help to confirm the symptom.
This is typed at the http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Ok prompt.

> This is our second broken prototype XO-1.5. The first fails to find the
> root filesystem most of the time. We haven't had time to examine what is
> going on with this one, save to try several different builds with
> similar results.

Needs more diagnosis.  I suggest testing the internal storage repeatedly
using either "test int:\" twenty times, or booting a USB based Linux
and using badblocks or other tools to exercise it.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/