[olpc-nz] Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 4 December 2010.

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Fri Dec 3 22:44:55 EST 2010

Testing summary - Auckland New Zealand, 4 December 2010.
Who: Fabiana, Nevyn, Tom, Robin, Tara & family, Mat.

Testing os356 on XO-1:
Maze works
Memorize works well with built in games and 3 way collaboration.
Record works well for pictures & video with sound.
Physics isn't installed!!
Write works, but when collaborating, if you replace a word written by
someone else, the first letter still appears in their colour.
TamTam Mini instrument kits "Electronic" and "South American" have their
names swapped still. Fabiana was unable to produce sufficiently bad
music to provoke a reaction from Nevyn. I'm not sure if this is a good
thing or a bad thing.
Implode's "hard" difficulty level remains too difficult for Fabiana but
otherwise implode works well.

WikipediaEN-21:
Failed to start on Dextrose os5dx2. Remainder of testing performed on
os356 on XO-1.
Links to pages which aren't included within the activity go to the
spanish wikipedia on the internet, not the english wikipedia.
The page title followed by the Spanish text "De Wikipedia, la
enciclopedia libre".
We observed a "Malformed Bundle Exception" complaining about a missing
Activity.info file.
It turns out you can't start two copies because the first one grabs the
webserver port. The sugar shell does not deal gracefully with this
issue.
We observed this stacktrace in the wikipedia log:
/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sugar/util.py:25: DeprecationWarning: the sha module is deprecated; use the hashlib module instead
  import sha
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/sugar-activity", line 21, in <module>
    main.main()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/site-packages/sugar/activity/main.py", line 112, in main
    module = __import__(module_name)
  File "/home/olpc/Activities/WikipediaEN.activity/activity.py", line 21, in <module>
    import server
  File "/home/olpc/Activities/WikipediaEN.activity/server.py", line 50, in <module>
    import mwlib.htmlwriter
  File "/home/olpc/Activities/WikipediaEN.activity/mwlib/htmlwriter.py", line 8, in <module>
  File "/home/olpc/Activities/WikipediaEN.activity/mwlib/parser.py", line 10, in <module>
ImportError: No module named scanner

Wikipedia-21 (Spanish version) on os356 on XO-1.0:
"Max Weber" page has html markup visible around the picture. We believe
other pages with a similar picture are ok, but couldn't find such pages
again.
There is no history of pages visited, which made it difficult to find a
biography page with a working picture (which we did visit once).
On "Leningrado" there is a link to "plebiscito" which is in blue, but
this link actually points to the Spanish wikipedia on the internet, not
within the activity like all the other blue links.
On the page Alemania, the sentence at top intro paragraph is interrupted
by an 'ayuda en ventana'message so first paragraph seems to start
mid-sentence. The  page for Espana has not been loaded, probably should
esp on spanish version.
Our local neuroscientist is appalled by the spanish wikipedia article on
the brain.

Broken XO-1.5
The wifi adapter on Tank is no longer available to the operating system.
We suspect it has suffered from the WLAN ESD problem, but at yet we
haven't positively identified which XO-1.5 preproduction version it is.
See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XO1.5_WLAN_ESD_protection for details. We
will take it apart and examine the motherboard next week and positively
identify what we have and whether we need to fix all the others we have.

This is our second broken prototype XO-1.5. The first fails to find the
root filesystem most of the time. We haven't had time to examine what is
going on with this one, save to try several different builds with
similar results.

Thanks Testers