[olpc-nz] So you want to back up users' data to a school server?

Tom Parker tom at carrott.org
Tue Aug 24 02:48:31 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-24 at 17:53 +1200, Tim McNamara wrote:
> Just in case we need stats about what would happen if we wanted to
> support NZ schools. I've extracted these from Bernie Inncenti's
> message[1]:
>

> "Here are some numbers from an actual school which has been operating
> for over one year with 530 registered laptops:
>  238G   users

It's not actually that bad.

The backup system is designed to fill the disk (to a threshold) before
purging old backups to make way for new ones. Also, Bernie has noticed
that the server he chose has a broken purge script (possibly our school
servers in Samoa have the same bug :-( ), so I'm not sure that those
numbers are at all valid.

> [1] http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/server-devel/2010-August/005145.html

See the subsequent messages in the archive for a (somewhat) clearer
picture.