[olpc-nz] Draft Testing Report - 26 Sept 09

Tim McNamara mcnamara.tim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 03:03:48 EDT 2009

Hi people - I'm sure there is more to add here*. *Could people add/remove
before submission to website. Ta :)*

General
*
First dual-location testing group, both in Wellington and Auckland! Woot.
Looking for a location where we can get decent internet access.
*
Power Management*

*## Control Panel > Wireless*

Issues with the " Radio": what does the checkbox mean?
Does this turn on the battery saving or the wireless radio?

Some disagreement with members of the team. Suspicion that as the checkbox
was checked, it was enabling the wireless radio.

Also, does this checkbox conflict with options in Control Panel > Power?

*## **Control Panel > Power > Extreme Power Management*

Turning on "Extreme Power Management" does not seem to alter the status of
the wireless radio checkbox.

*## **Control Panel > Power > **Power Management* *Option*

"Automatic power management"
Perhaps it would be useful to explain what functionality will be lost if
this setting is checked. Is this CPU scaling? Will it turn of the lights?
Will it change the maximum volume?

Does "experimental" mean risky? Will I hurt my machine by indicating this?
Or, does it just mean it wont be that effective as a power saving mechanism

Test machine:

Serial: SHF80802A64
Build 767
Sugar: 0.82.1
Firmware: Q2E18

Replicated:

Serial: CSN74804D74
Build: 802
Sugar: 0.82.1
Firmware: Q2E41

*Help Application*

*## Feature Request *
Add a search function

*## Content*

Activities Sampler > Note to parents and teachers
"There are currently thousands of software developers around the world
developing
content for Sugar" - really?

"The community is interested in your feedback so that they can better serve
the
needs of children learning" - how?

*Tasks to do*

Tim - install school server on spare PC. Try to bring along a wireless acess
point for next weekend.

Tim McNamara
 http://www.timmcnamara.co.nz
 http://twitter.com/timClicks