[olpc-nz] Testing for non-sugar thingy.

Neil Graham Lerc at screamingduck.com
Sat Sep 19 18:11:55 EDT 2009

Are the Welly testers up for some non-sugar XO testing?

I'm working on a home dir based install of another environment,
The plan is to co-habitate with sugar and perhaps allow switching
the way that the XO-1.5 is doing with Gnome.

My system is targeted at the XO-1 (so it is much more lightweight than
gnome) and I've been setting things up on mine here (down in
Christchurch), but my poor wee XO has never been in mesh range of one of
its kin.

The design aims to have the install to go almost completely on SD-Card
(which does mean a little bit of sudo mucking around)

You mount either all or a portion of an SD-Card in /home/olpc/usr via
fstab.  This setup treats the sd-card as a fixed drive, not removable
media (which I believe was the original idea).

There are still heaps of things to do, but I've got something that
actually starts up so I'm going with the Release early, release often
philosophy and looking to see if I can get this running on more than a
single XO.