[olpc-nz] Saying hi

Tim McNamara mcnamara.tim at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 05:59:12 EDT 2009

Hi all,

I've just come across the group. I thought I would say hi. I've been
involved with the Sahana project (FOSS disaster management) which has done a
little bit of work on the OLPC:

http://talksahana.com/2008/06/12/sahana-on-olpc/
http://www.sahana.lk/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:olpcimg:english

There's a possibility that I could be heading to the USA for a week in
August to experiment with OLPC machines with Sahana and other low-power
machines and playing around with Hastily Formed Networks. It would be great
to orientate myself with OLPC machines face to face myself before that
happens. Do you think it would be possible to tag along to one of the
Saturday mornings at the Southern Cross?

I currently run Ubuntu and run a Sugar emulator on it but haven't got very
far with it. I don't think it's configured correctly... :/

I would love to help out with testing on an ongoing as my familiarity with
the system increases. I'm sure I have a willing niece who would love to come
and learn too!

Tim

(oh - if you're free on the 30th, Catalyst IT is hosting an introductory
session on the Sahana platform's adoption in New Zealand
http://tinyurl.com/about-the-nz-sahana-cluster )