[olpc-nz] Wellington OLPC volunteers this Saturday

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Thu Feb 12 09:20:10 EST 2009

Alastair wrote:
> We've had requests this week for some testing of Gnash / Flash videos.

Assuming your intent is to "test the software officially packaged
with the XO", I don't have anything to contribute.

But if anyone is interested in "how well can the XO show Flash",
then in my opinion better results can be achieved than with the
"standard" XO software.

I myself am using Flash player 10.0.15.3 from Adobe (I put symbolic
links to its 'libflashplayer.so' into my Browse, Opera, and Firefox
'plugins' directories, and am unlinking Gnash by renaming 'agent-
stylesheet.css' in the Browse.activity directory).  I find YouTube
quite watchable on my XO -- what I see is like a "slide show"
showing nearly three images every two seconds (plus full audio).

[While I haven't had to resort to this myself, numerous people will
download Flash videos to their XO rather than watch "streaming".
What I have installed on my XO is 'mplayer' (the statically-linked
version as described on olpcnews.com forums, not the yum-installed
version).  {If you are willing to go the monster-yum-install route
(from the rpmfusion repository !!), VLC is even more flexible than
mplayer.}  I can definitely say that I have not been disappointed
with mplayer's output quality when watching videos on my XO.]

mikus