[OLPC-NYC] Interactive open video in NYC this Saturday

Nicholas Doiron ndoiron at mapmeld.com
Mon Mar 21 14:52:41 EDT 2011

In addition to OLPC, I develop some tools for Mozilla's vibrant new
WebMadeMovies project.  As you watch a video, associated content such as
maps, Wikipedia, and Twitter feeds appear on the page to add information
about people and projects on screen.  A demo is online here:
http://webmademovies.etherworks.ca/popcorndemo/

This project was a success with high school students in California:
http://brettgaylor.tumblr.com/post/3526122151/web-made-movies-at-bavc
and this weekend it's coming to NYU's Tisch School of the Arts for
developers and filmmakers to try out.  I think this means a lot to teachers,
too, because instead of watching and recording videos, this project focuses
on linking the viewer to the bigger picture.  The moment a video makes you
ask "carbon sequestration, what's that?" or "does that project have a
website?" there can be a link.  Not everyone's going to click, but it's a
lot more effective than putting a URL on screen.

I will be flying to Uruguay to work with OLPC, so I'm not planning to be in
NYC, but we can collaborate online.  If you would like to take part, let me
know and I can get you in touch with the project leadership.  A number of
project contributors want a solution for teacher videos such as
http://youtube.com/canalceibal , so it'd be great to send some teacher
representatives their way.

Regards,
Nick Doiron