[OLPC-NYC] NYC OLPC Meetup

Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun May 16 23:10:43 EDT 2010

Our application as a children's activity for http://FigmentProject.org
has just been approved.

Hope to see you Saturday June 12 on Governors Island, just south of
Manhattan!

Here's the blurb we've submitted for publication in the festival brochure:

    One Laptop per Child (OLPC NYC) brings people together using rugged
    low-cost computers and kids around the world in need.  We bring DIY
    learning using open software called Sugar, that empowers kids to
    discover and take control of music, science experiments, artistic
    collaboration, you-name-it.  Come try for yourself, our brand new
    XO-1.5 laptops, and check out some newly available 10 Watt solar
    panels!  Ask us also about our work across Asia, Africa, Latin
    America and in USA schools too.  Note that our brand new laptops now
    include the Gnome Desktop for older children too.

    Regardless of what “creativity” means for you, we encourage everyone
    who deeply cares about learning, Wikipedia and the like (no matter
    your age) to step up, release your inner child, and start building
    wireless/collaborative projects of all kinds -- our NYC community
    will then show you how to obtain our free, tough, water-resistant,
    low-power laptops if your efforts will join ours, organically
    growing to help kids and school around the world.

    Thanks for stopping by Saturday June 12^th everyone who cares about
    rebuilding an exploratory global learning culture for the 21^st century!