[Olpc-indonesia] OLPC Pilot project launches in West Papua

Ken Kahn toontalk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 2 04:38:31 EDT 2011

Hi.

> On 02/08/11 14:20, Ken Kahn wrote:
>> Yesterday a local school in Manokwari received 14 XO laptops. See
>
> Awesome!
> Can u share how this is accomplished? How do we copy this to provide the
> laptops to other schools?

I wrote this proposal to get 10 XOs from the OLPC Contributors program:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dzciadzniajW-aVeNYbvEJXshehzOoM_Sg4VwOIx1jk/edit?hl=en

I then got 5 more XOs that were no longer being used in a lab in
London and carried them here.

(We only have 14 since one broke in shipping.)

My sense is that we can apply for more XOs if we can demonstrate some
sustainable success. I'm hopeful but that we can do so.

>> Any support from this list would be greatly appreciated. In
>> particular, the lack of localisation for Indonesian is a problem. None
>> of the school teachers speak English. The project has a few volunteers
>> from the nearby university who speak English and Indonesian. I visited
>> http://translate.sugarlabs.org/id/ and saw that 19% is translated.
>
> I'm currently the admin for OLPC Indonesian translation,
> Will try to improve it from time to time. Lack of time is mostly the
> problem.
>
> Every help is much appreciated. So I welcome anyone else that would like
> to help out.

I'll talk to people here at the university about helping with the translation.

But in the meanwhile are there any parts of the system (e.g. an
activity) or documentation that has been translated that we could use?

Best,

-ken