[Olpc-Haiti] OLPC/Waveplace Translation Project

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Sun Jan 31 04:18:06 EST 2010

Thanks Carmina & the Haitian Americans in NYC who made today one of the
more meaningful of my life.  We'll meet again all-day Saturday Feb 6
downtown NYC, tracking Crisis Camp logistics here as usual:
http://crisiscommons.org

As we grow this OLPC Haiti community far beyond our current 60 list
members, mobilizing those worldwide caring about long-term solutions for
Haiti/Education (including our good friends at
http://haiti.waveplace.org) please ask those you trust to start
Translating to Creole here today:

2) http://translate.sugarlabs.org
Recheck others' work please -- just register & start translating!
Including Etoys.

3) http://laptop.org/manual
(translate in Microsoft Word if you must, HTML if possible, forwarding
your complete translation of any complete chapter back here to our
http://lists.laptop.org/admin/olpc-haiti list)

4) 10 awesome Childrens' Books Hans Marshalleck is beginning to gather
for very young children.  Related: his very own XO Laptop Coloring Book
his church group may professionally print.  Geraldine Zephirin is
contacting publishers for content donations and should expand her net
further.  Please all help them find the very best kids' stories /
E-books: age-appropriate & legal to translate/distribute.  Start with
2nd/3rd grade reading level (Age 7-8?) if possible.  Polish the
translations.  We Can Help You convert these to .EPUB (E-book) format.
Thanks Hans for keeping us up-to-date on NYC translation party and
training sessions planning.

5) Roald Dahl's famous kids books might be specially openly-licensable
for Creole translation given his daughter runs http://PIH.org
Allison Bland: can you investigate?

6) Wikipedia.org's 1000+ most education-appropriate articles need
translation.  Please start right here today: http://ht.wikipedia.org --
reply to olpc-haiti at lists.laptop.org and SJ at laptop.org if you need help.
An OLPC/Sugar software Activity will be built for kids in Haiti who do
not have Internet, as soon as the quality+quantity of these article
reaches a high standard, just like this great Spanish version with
"30,000" Wikipedia articles used in Peru:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/WikiBrowse

7) 20 chapters/book units Waveplace's Tim Falconer is coordinating
(language arts, math, sciences, visual arts, music) to be announced on
http://lists.laptop.org/admin/olpc-haiti in coming weeks, and at:
http://haiti.waveplace.org

8) Teachers' Guides, colorful Handouts, Courseware emerging in places like:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/ClassActs/Resources
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manuals
http://waveplace.org

9) Etoys' Manual emerging progressively at:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/bin/view/Etoys

10) Haitians Kids/Teachers talking to the world -- one of many reverse
translation projects from Creole to English, allowing the world to hear
unfiltered Haitian experiences:
http://wiki.crisiscommons.org/wiki/Languages_and_Translation

PS very brief photo-backgrounder on Waveplace's 2008/2009 OLPC work in
Haiti:
http://en.flossmanuals.net/ClassActs/WaveplaceStory

Foreshadowing OLPC's separate (larger scale) work in Haiti later this year:
http://laptop.org/haiti
http://laptop.org/en/olpcorps/partcountries.shtml