[Olpc-Haiti] professional translation resources for OLPC/SugarLabs

Bastien bastienguerry at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 7 10:42:18 EST 2010

Hi Alexander,

Alexander Dupuy <alex.dupuy at mac.com> writes:

> It is more possible that some translations have been done (for pay) by
> professional translators (this may be the case with the Kreyòl
> translations Guy-Serge Pompilus reports, I don't know)

Just for the record: you guessed right.

Kreyòl translation has been done by non-professionals, it has
been done by fluent kreyòl speakers and writers from the OLPC
Haiti team back during 2008 summer.

Guy Serge's plan was to let professional translators and kreyòl
linguists review this work and provide feedback on it.  I think
this cooperation between "amateur" translators and professional
ones is an effective way to work.

Let's be constructivist about translation as well!

Let's switch from the ideology of "experts first" to that of a
co-learning perspective: "let's amateurs and experts cooperate
and solve problems together."

No matter whether amateurs or experts start first.

My 2 cents,

--
 Bastien