[Olpc-Haiti] Content from the Stanford Education School

Caroline Meeks caroline at solutiongrove.com
Thu Feb 4 19:59:52 EST 2010

Prof Paul Kim of Stanford has been doing work with educational technology in
developing countries for many years.  His group have created open source
(CC) content that uses Gnash and linux on devices called "teachermate".

I have been talking to Paul and Geraldine separately and we are hoping that
on Saturday at CrisisCamp NYC this content can be evaluated to determine how
it can be used on the XO and other devices in Haiti.

Some background:

Some of this content has been sold in the US:
http://www.innovationsforlearning.org/about_teachermate.php
The teachers guide is interesting:
http://www.innovationsforlearning.org/teachers_guide.php
I have not had any luck getting phone calls or emails returned from IFL.
Their website says they are also working with OLE. Maybe someone on this
list has contacts?

Prof Kim has been very helpful. Here is a movie about Prof Kim's work
in Rwanda: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/4326281/11618355

Attached is a number of samples of this content.  Teachermate Preference
gives you an overview of the different types of content available.

Tomeu also did some technical work on this in the past:
http://blog.tomeuvizoso.net/2009/05/progress-on-sugar-activities-with-swf.html

I think next steps might include:

-Catalog what exists and in what language
-Get all the code into version control
-Debug having it work on the XO
-Create a systematic way to translate (poodle?)

I can't travel this weekend so I can't be there in person but let me know
how I can help.

Thanks!
Caroline
--