[Olpc-Haiti] Fwd: Laptops?!?

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Tue Feb 2 15:03:28 EST 2010

    Subject:  	Re: [support-gang] Laptops?!?
Date: 	Tue, 2 Feb 2010 09:01:09 -0500
From: 	Allison Bland <bland.allison at gmail.com>
To: 	Community Support Volunteers -- who help respond to "help AT
laptop.org" <support-gang at lists.laptop.org>
CC: 	IAEP <iaep at lists.sugarlabs.org>, Support Gangsters
<support-gang at laptop.org>

wow, I am so impressed by everyone!

to all I haven't met, hello and I hope to meet you soon.

Carmina, I love your recent article, it is fantastic.
Geraldine, the book list is so exciting.
Adam, the wiki is turning out great and is much more appealing.

Everyone doing translating work -- THANK YOU!

I want to share a piece of yesterday with you this morning, because I
think it really serves the cause well. So yesterday we introduced the
pilot to two classes at two different schools. I will talk more in depth
about both later, but wanted to tell you all about what I learned in the
afternoon session right away.

In the afternoon we visit with 8 Haitian-American students at Graham &
Park Alternative Public School. The students range from ages 10 - 13.
There are 5 girls and 3 boys. They all primarily speak Creole at home
and also in the classroom with their friends - they speak english with
varying proficiency, though most are quite good. (Their teacher, Chris
Low, translated as Tim spoke so there was not a comprehension problem.)
Of course they were all thrilled when we introduced them to bright XOs
and even more excited when we told them they could bring them home. Most
importantly, they love the idea that the very same machines they are
using will be used by students in Haiti.

Tim said, "So you have to take good care of them..."
"Sure, sure, of course," said one girl finishing his statement.
"We touch them, and they touch them," said another.

But the most interesting part of the session came when we realized one
boy, Johnson, and one girl, Rose-Claire, were silently getting
frustrated following the lesson on their actual computers. These were
the two students who had most recently come from Haiti.. and I don't
know if it was coincidence or not, but they were the quietest kids in
the room. Their friends were very protective though, discretely helping
them through the instructions in a way so they did not fall behind.
However, when we noticed pretty quickly anyway, and Tim suggested that
they switch the language on the computers to Creole. This is where I
realized more than ever the usefulness of the tasks of the translation
team, and why going through line after line of somewhat benign text is
actually so important.

It made an immediate difference to see Johnson's control panel changed
into Creole. Before there were icons that he could kind of guess at
their meanings, but now everything was identified clearly for him. Every
simple english command and directive seemed to be translated into
Creole. He could comfortably change the color on his avatar and join in
the "neighborhood" of the other kids in the classroom and also get
involved in the "friend requests" each student was making of the others
in the room. He didn't have to miss out on that fun connection process,
or move through it with confusion. His eyes really did light up.  But
later as we progressed through the lesson I saw with my own eyes the
limitations of the current translations. When we asked them to open up
Etoys, his screen was again in english, and the formatting was a little
off. "Make a Project," "Gallery of Projects, "Tutorials and Demos," were
displayed instead of the translated equivalents. So although we
continued to pay close attention to the learning experience Johnson and
Rose-Claire were having, it was inevitable that they were really having
half, or at least lesser, of the experience of their peers. This isn't
fair to them, and I am so happy to be connected with you all who are
working to be sure this discrepancy ends here. We will be with the group
for the next three weeks, so there is no fear that Johnson and
Rose-Claire will catch up and no, they won't fall through the cracks..
but let's make sure no child in Haiti falls through the cracks either.

Thank you again!

I encourage everyone to check for news (and soon video) at
http://www.waveplace.com/news/blog/
 And you can follow on Twitter @waveplace (spread the word!)

Have a great day,
Allison