[OLPC-Chicago] 8.2 Problems - Response to My Previous Message

Andy Schmitz andy.schmitz at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 14:49:10 EDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 22:49 +0000, gdorner at comcast.net wrote:
> And after poking around on wiki.laptop.org and trying again to load the Activities, I finally reverted to the earlier system with O-On and was back where I started.
>
> Then, I initiated the 8.2 download again. It worked as advertised. Again I followed the instructions to download the Activities  - there were 37 amounting to 180 MB. The results were the same - Starting to download ... but no discernible activity after 2 hours. I tried downloading only a few Activities, the Terminal, Browser, and Log, but the results were the same.
>
> I used the Virtual Terminal to look around and found that only a leftover Opera.activity was in the Activities folder. I was going to try the USB boot, but when I go to the site to download the files I get Hex-ASCII garbage on the screen and it clobbers either Firefox or Safari (I'm on a Mac). Did the writer assume I would be in Linux to download those files? or WIndoze?
>
> So I still have an XO with 8.2 running but no Activities to use.
>
> I repeat:  What to do?

It's a bit strange that your browsers aren't prompting you to download
the files (Firefox does in Linux, anyway, I'm not sure why it wouldn't
in OS X). Either way, if you're trying to do a USB boot to
update/upgrade, find the links to the files you want to download, and
right-click (or control-click, if you've only got a one-button mouse),
and tell your browser to save the file. (It might be "Save target as..."
or something similar.) Then continue with the instructions (put them on
an empty USB drive, etc.).

As for activities not loading, I'm not really sure why it's having
problems. I have yet to install 8.2.0, but the testing release I had
used a month or so ago that included the same feature seemed to work
fine. Hopefully it works out for you.

Andy Schmitz