[OLPC-Chicago] Children's Low Cost Laptop Bill

Kevin Crews kcrews at imsa.edu
Fri Mar 21 01:25:56 EDT 2008

To let everyone know, IMSA and not, this is, as Jason mentioned, extremely
exciting.

Thanks to Larry and Steve out of MVCC for pointing this out as it emerged
through the technology committee--I went ahead and started doing some of my
own research after that.

My uncle, Jack Franks, is in the House.  I contacted him about this bill,
and he was so excited he is now one of the sponsors.  Max McGee, the IMSA
President and former State Superintendent of Education, is equally excited
about this and has it on his radar.

We are planning some sort of presentation and/or follow-up in the near
future, either with some of the sponsors or other interested parties.  I
think that we can work to all prepare the information available and make
easily accessible to the legislators.

Thoughts?

Kevin

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 10:48 PM, Jason Rock <jrock at imsa.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
> Mel brought some fairly recent Illinois legislation to my attention.  The
> legislation creates, "A low-cost laptop pilot project whereby low-cost
> laptop computers are provided to each student, teacher, and relevant
> administrator in a participating elementary school and the use of
> open-source educational software and computer skills training is
> implemented."  If anyone wants to they can read more at
> http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=5000&GAID=9&DocTypeID=HB&LegID=35963&SessionID=51&GA=95&SpecSess=0.
> Personally I will be writing a letter to congressmen and women asking for
> their support of this bill.  It would be great if you would join me, as the
> passing of this bill would obviously help advance the OLPC project.
>
> Thanks,
> Jason Rock

--Kevin Crews
(815)341-8119