[OLPC-Chicago] OLPC-Chicago Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Sun Mar 9 23:22:39 EDT 2008

> I wanted to continue my part of the OLPC 'office' discussion here rather
> than at the public wiki because I feel a 'proof read' can help maintain
> the illusion of professionalism.  :)  That is, toss down the random
> ideas here, reveal the quantified results at the wiki.

Neat way of phrasing it. :)

> groups by allowing 'the office' to come them.  However, not having a
> central location removes the premise that an office could have walk-ins,
> or business hours at a central point in Chicago.  A point that is
> important if ChicagOlpc hosts a lot of walk-ins.

Having a van and having an office aren't mutually exclusive. I'd love to
do both - the fact of the matter is that office space is significantly
more expensive than having a vehicle (which we'll need to have to get
around the state in any case), so it's really a funding limitation at
the moment.

> The primary problems with the van is regardless of whether ChiagOlpc is
> a Corp, Non Profit, or something else, one person will likely need to
> sign for, and pay insurance.

This is taken care of.

> A possible alternative is a portable 'kit' office.

I love this idea. A similar (but not identical at all) one is the Jam In
  A Box kit, which has halfway been pulled into reality (ad-hoc "jam
kits" following this template have been loaned out, but no standard set
or operating procedure to borrow it exists.)

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Jam_in_a_box

What kind of resources would a kit office like this need? What would you
want to see in the box?

 > may be ChicagOlpc doesn't need an office, but rather a means
> by which the public can access ChicagOlcp.  Consider we already have in
> place 'key people' in various locations, and these people already have a
> way to contact each other via e-mail, and cell phone.  We even get
> together when need be.  What is lacking is a public way to contact these
> people.  It may be that ChicagOlcp only needs a phone number and web
> site.  Even the phone number may not be necessary as an e-mail or an
> individuals cell could substitute.

I think this is incredibly insightful, and would love to hear more
people's thoughts on this.

More coming tomorrow. ;)

-Mel