[OLPC-Chicago] OLPC-Chicago Digest, Vol 8, Issue 5

Charles Tuura magiclanternvideo at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 5 14:42:38 EST 2008

I wanted to continue my part of the OLPC 'office' discussion here rather than at the public wiki because I feel a 'proof read' can help maintain the illusion of professionalism.  :)  That is, toss down the random ideas here, reveal the quantified results at the wiki.  Just my take on things.

  I confess I'm intrigued by the Mobile option, though it's tainted by the image of a beat up unreliable van that breaks down en route to demos.

  The advantage of 'the van' is, it does strengthen local grass roots groups by allowing 'the office' to come them.  However, not having a central location removes the premise that an office could have walk-ins, or business hours at a central point in Chicago.  A point that is important if ChicagOlpc hosts a lot of walk-ins.

  The primary problems with the van is regardless of whether ChiagOlpc is a Corp, Non Profit, or something else, one person will likely need to sign for, and pay insurance.  Grassroots are driven by people who are fickle in nature, if everyone gets bored and walks away, the person who signed the insurance papers will still need to pay that bill monthly.  Insurance aside, there would be gas, maintenance, and possibly payments on a van.  This may be possible with a steady source of revenue, but is likely to ambitious for a start up office as it would put a lot of financial responsibility one person.

  A possible alternative is a portable 'kit' office.

  The kids at IMSA have a paintball club and they can't store paintball equipment at school so I've volunteered my basement as "paintball storage".  My instructions to the club were very clear, "Everybody inventories all their items and stores them in hockey bags.  I receive 10 hockey bags in, which I never open, and I return 10 hockey bags, which never have been opened."  If something is missing, the issue occurred while doing inventory and was before the items came into my care.

  I point this out because it think it would be possible to put together a series of plastic storage containers and develop a 'mobil unit'.  Example:  Box A holds 10 Xo's.  Ten go in, ten come out, ten go back in.  A well inventoried box can move from van to van, allowing a 'mobil' unit to exist, and doesn't obligate ChicagOlpc to own a van and carry the issues that accompany car ownership.  If I'm around, toss 'the mobile unit' into my van and we get it from A to B.  If "so and so" is around, toss it in their car and move it from B to C.  A simple check off sheet with a sign in and sign out would hopefully prevent items from 'walking'.  This maintains the grassroots element, lowers costs, and could be a working platform others could emulate.

  I'm going to regret saying this, and it should not go beyond this web site, but grassroots groups share a lot of traits with 'cell's or sleeper cells'.  I only bring it up the cell allusion because I know there are a lot of TVs shows that might help conjure the idea I am about to propose.

  That is, It may be ChicagOlpc doesn't need an office, but rather a means by which the public can access ChicagOlcp.  Consider we already have in place 'key people' in various locations, and these people already have a way to contact each other via e-mail, and cell phone.  We even get together when need be.  What is lacking is a public way to contact these people.  It may be that ChicagOlcp only needs a phone number and web site.  Even the phone number may not be necessary as an e-mail or an individuals cell could substitute.

  Example:  Big Wig in Chicago hears about program on radio wants to donate locally.  He/She finds ChicagOlcp on line and A)E-mails or B)Phone calls.  A meeting could still occur at Panera, or any local setting. (No office necessary).  Big Wig wants a demo.  The mobile 'kit' is at Chuck's house.  Chuck gets it to the Demo or gets it to someone who can get it to demo.  Some one at demo wants the same thing a week later at their school.  Chuck or someone else gets it to second demo.  Etc.

  While it's common for meetings to occur in a office setting, I think it's also reasonable for people to meet for lunch or dinner removing the need for an office, also public settings can provide a level of saftey to volunteers who are meeting with strangers.  Even a dedicated phone line may not be necessary as I suspect ChicagOlpc may not be receiving a huge number of phone calls on day one.  It may be, we simply need to take advantage of 21st Century technology and 'move' the office to the Internet.

  Something to consider.

  On these questions:

Do you know how to write grants proposals?
  Nope, but my wife does!  However I have not asked her and she has not volunteered, so this can not be taken as a commit of her time.

Do you know of grants we can apply to?
  Again no, but I can ask her and she may be able to help in this area.

Do you have old electronics/fabrication equipment you'd like to donate, sell, or lend?
  No.  In fact I know nothing about electronics, but I can build the table someone else works at.  I can run wire, build a box, and paint.  So if a physical office is needed I've got some basic skills that could contribute its construction.  I can build a wall, lay a floor, whatever.

Books on computers, education, off-grid power generation, electronics, the developing world, programming, or other OLPC-relevant topics you'd like to offload or loan?
  Nope.

Can you host an event?
  Maybe after I gut my basement and build an ChicagOlpc "West" office sure.  :)

Help plan an event?
  Possibly?

Help find food? Space? Materials? Teachers? Students? Volunteers?
  Possibly?  My 'free time' situation may change soon.

Can you mentor a project?
  Probably not.  I move boxes well.  That's about it.

Do you want to be mentored on a project?
  Yep, Larry already knows I'm interested in the possible repair center.  I think this may compliment my 'hands on' approach.

  All Material to consider,

  Chuck Tuura