[OLPC-Chicago] Chicago-IL summer nucleation group

Langellier, Larry Langellier at morainevalley.edu
Wed Mar 5 13:57:41 EST 2008

Some random thoughts/questions in response:

If you decide to go with an "OLPC Van" as part of the summer nucleation group, do you have one or would you need one donated?

We are planning on hosting both a Game Jam and a Repair Jam this summer at Moraine Valley Community College. We're working out the logistics on that with our dean and other administrators on campus right now and will post to this list when we have more info - like possible dates... No details have been determined - we just wanted to get official blessing before pushing it forward. We do have a full-time police force here on campus, so I expect most logistics to be addressable - but we'll need to figure out what to do for a place for people to crash.

Steve Mastej and I are traveling to Springfield, IL tomorrow to attend a legislative committee hearing on a proposed new bill titled "Children's Low-cost Laptop Act". We'll report back afterwards on what we hear there...

I have attached the draft of a proposal that details an OLPC/XO Support Center that would service individuals, schools, and grassroots efforts in the Moraine Valley Community College district. This proposal was sent to the Dean of Science, Business and Computer Technology, the Vice President of Academic Affairs, and Moraine Valley's College President here at MVCC today. Any feedback that any of you would be willing to share would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Larry