[OLPC-Chicago] Jabber question

Robert Myers rmyers7 at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 2 11:07:49 EST 2008

Harper,

Ok, now that you got it up, I've got a question.

What would it take to add/enable support for iChat users? I know that
this is getting away from child centered purity, but XOs may well find
themselves in mixed environments. Plus, it sure would be fun to be able
to chat between my XO and Macs at home (or school).

I tried simply to log in to the jabber server as
rmyers at jabber.olpchacks.org <no password> but it just quietly fails.

My iChat Jabber 'Account Information' preferences are:

Use this account <checked>
When iChat Opens, automatically log in <checked>
Jabber ID: rmyers at jabber.olpchacks.org
Password: <empty>

My iChat Jabber 'Server Settings' preferences are:

Server: jabber.olpchacks.org
Port: 5223 (I also tried 5280, which I saw in the planet olpc guide)
Connect using SSL <checked>
Allow self-signed certificates <checked>
Warn before password is sent insecurely <unchecked>
Location: IceCube (this mac's name)
Use my machine name <checked>

Thanks,

Bob