[OLPC-Chicago] Come beat the living daylights out of build 708 with us!

Mel Chua mel at melchua.com
Thu Jul 10 19:54:06 EDT 2008

The short:

Release-candidate-708 testing parties at the ILXO office!
Room #3167
200 S. Wacker Drive
Chicago, IL
Wednesday, July 23 6-8pm
Wednesday, July 30 6-8pm

--------

The long:

Release candidate 708 is charging around the bullpen, anxiously awaiting
the day it'll be unleashed upon hundreds of thousands of XOs as the next
stable build, shipping out to deployments and the next G1G1. This is the
shininess that 708 (aka 8.2.0) claims to bring to us in a month:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_Notes/8.2.0 We've got to test it and
make sure it does.

Plenty of testing is being done by individual volunteers with XOs in
their living rooms, but there's one missing piece that we've been asked
by the folks at 1cc (OLPC headquarters in Boston) to fill in. That's to
put 708 it through its paces in a school setting, where it's ultimately
going to be deployed. How does this build interact with school servers?
With other XOs on a mesh? When there are huge swarms of them all being
used together in a classroom?

We're setting up some classroom configurations (in terms of networking,
number of XOs, and so on) here in the office, and we need folks to come
out and check out new/improved features and try their darnednest to
break the build. All ages and testing/tech experience levels are
welcome, though younger testers should come with someone who can help
them follow instructions and report results.

So come and join us for testing parties at...
* Wednesday, July 23 6-8pm
* Wednesday, July 30 6-8pm

Both of them are at our office - room #3167 at 200 S. Wacker Dr. in
downtown Chicago (one block away from Union Station).

If you're interested but can't make either of these nights, let us know
what nights would work for you in this poll
(http://doodle.ch/participation.html?pollId=dvvepduedg4dx85n) and we'll
try to plan a third date. Alternatively: If you can gather a group of
testers (at least 8) in a nifty location somewhere in the state of
Illinois, we can also come bring a test rig (with school server and
laptops and all) out to you and help you run with testing for a few hours.

If you're interested, let us know (reply to this email)...

* Who's coming
* When you're coming
* Whether you're bringing an XO(s) with you, and what type (G1G1/MP?
B4?) - note that XOs used for testing will have to be completely wiped
and reinstalled at/before the event!
* Do you have any prior test/QA experience? (Not necessary to
participate, but helpful - we're looking for folks to help
us write test plans too!)
* Can you test remotely for an hour or two to prep beforehand?
* If you're interested in hosting a test jam (anywhere between 8-60
people depending on your space) sometime between July 18 and 30

If you don't have an XO of your own but want to participate remotely,
you can borrow an XO from us for up to a week at a time (pickup/dropoff
at our downtown office near Union Station) to do testing in your home.

Hope to see you there!

-Mel and the ILXO crew