[OLPC-Chicago] MAJOR change for the Jan. 25 meeting at Moraine Valley Community College

Langellier, Larry Langellier at morainevalley.edu
Sun Jan 20 16:34:31 EST 2008

Sadly, I am going to have to cancel the Linux tutorial for the XO that was scheduled for this Saturday (January 25) at Moraine Valley Community College. People are still welcome to come for an informal get together and do some "meshing". If you plan to attend the meeting at MVCC, please email me at langellier (at) morainevalley (dot) edu by noon on Tuesday, January, 22.

The reason the Linux tutorial had to be cancelled is that the presenter (who hadn't heard of OLPC and the XO prior to my request) wanted to borrow my XO no later than this weekend so he could have a couple days to play with it and develop his presentation/tutorial. Unfortunately, my XO has still not arrived and I may not even have it by Saturday. :-(

Now that the Google-affiliated group here in Chicago is forming, I believe they are an excellent group to provide a regional presence that I felt was important. As a result, I am going to deemphasize the "regional" nature of the gatherings at MVCC, and focus on more local issues as follows:

- Provide a meeting spot for local meetups
- Offer my assistance in procuring the MVCC facilities for larger gatherings for the Google-based group if they ever need a larger site for a meeting/conference.
- Start a university chapter here at MVCC to recruit more students and faculty to the OLPC initiative.

I welcome anyone who would like to be involved with any of these efforts (including the University chapter - you don't need to be an MVCC student to join that). I will work with anyone organizing south/southwest/west suburban OLPC activities and I will be happy to assist in any way that I can to facilitate efforts locally and regionally. Feel free to email me at langellier (at) morainevalley edu if you are near Palos Hills and would like to join our grassroots group or if you are part of a larger effort and would like to utilize our facilities.

Don't forget, email me if you still plan to attend the MVCC meeting Saturday - even though the Linux tutorial is cancelled.

Best Regards,
- Larry Langellier