[OLPC-Chicago] [Grassroots-l] Nepal: Orientation Program for Parents and Other Stakeholders

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 13:34:33 EDT 2008

This is excellent. We will take note of this for the Illinois project.
I also created a Parents page on the Wiki and put this link there.

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 3:18 AM, Bryan Berry <bryan.berry at gmail.com> wrote:
> My colleague Dr. Saurav Dev Bhatta has written a great summary of the
>  interaction programs between parents and teachers from the Bashuki and
>  Bishwamitra pilot schools.
>
>  It is of special note that the teachers of these schools organized the
>  programs and not OLE Nepal.
>  http://blog.olenepal.org/index.php/archives/260
>
>  It is quite a lengthy overview so I will just provide the link

The article notes that the the Tamang speakers had better discussions
in Tamang, just as one might expect If we can make some arrangements
with the community, we could start a Tamang localization of Sugar. Do
you know anybody who speaks both Tamang and English reasonably well?
If so, I would like to explain my idea through that person to the
community. If not, we can manage with Tamang<-->Nepali<-->English.

We have some experience in localization of Linux to languages that
lack computer terminology, such as Kinyarwanda, where the first order
of business was to create a word for "computer". This is necessarily a
community effort. Sayamindu Dasgupta, the localization lead for OLPC,
has created a draft list of terminology that we can start from. Here
is the Nepali version.
https://dev.laptop.org/translate/ne/terminology/glossary.v.0.1.po?translate=1&view=1

I see that all of the XO software except Etoys has been localized to
Nepali. https://dev.laptop.org/translate/ne/ So the Tamang community
can work from both the English and the Nepali to create their own.

Of course this means that you need to arrange for some of the Tamang
speakers to learn all of the laptop software. It shouldn't be
difficult to get the children to do that. Or perhaps some of them
would like to specialize, learning one activity really well and
localizing just that one to begin with. We'll have to ask them how
they think it is best to proceed.

>  --
>  Bryan W. Berry
>  Systems Engineer