[OLPC-Chicago] Illinois developments and HB5000

Langellier, Larry Langellier at morainevalley.edu
Wed Apr 23 08:23:56 EDT 2008

Hi SJ,

There isn't much new that I have done recently regarding Illinois HB5000. As noted, it passed the Illinois House by a vote of 110-0-0. The bill arrived in the Illinois Senate on April 9 and was assigned to the Rules Committee, where it still sits. The status of the bill can be viewed at http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/BillStatus.asp?DocNum=5000&GAID=9&DocTypeID=HB&LegId=35963&SessionID=51&GA=95. We have been contacting people from Illinois to make them aware of the bill and we have asked that they contact their Senator to voice support for the bill.

Beyond that, I am not involved in any attempts to modify the bill. I am very supportive of the bill as it is currently written, especially the provision that schools can locally choose which low-cost laptop to purchase. I like the possibility that this may lead to a "bake off" amongst different laptops. I believe the XO pilots will shine in side-by-side comparison with other pilots, in large part because I expect the local OLPC community to rally around and assist the schools that opt for the XO. I am impressed with the state-level leadership that developed this bill and will support their efforts to get the act passed.

Thanks for your interest,
Larry