[OLPC-Chicago] Illinois developments and HB5000

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 03:07:05 EDT 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear  OLPC Chicago,
>
> Can someone tell me more about your meetings with the Lt Governor and his
> office?  Larry, I know you and a few others met with him and Ryan Croke at
> the start of last month; what communication has there been since?

I spoke with Ryan on the phone at his request. We talked about changes
needed to the bill, and assistance that will be needed with teacher
training, experiment design, and some related matters. The main topic
was the expected progress of the bill. It originated in Lt. Governor
Pat Quinn's office, and passed the Illinois House shortly after our
conversation, with minor amendments. The Senate gets it next, and Ryan
expects the Senate Education Committee to hold hearings on it.

I assumed that OLPC would want to be involved in the hearings, but I
have been told otherwise.

> We have also stayed in touch with that office, through Darah Tappitake; and
> they are organizing their own small 100-laptop trial in a school.  I don't
> know that we've done much in the way of specific outreach around HB5000, or
> that this would be appropriate for OLPC as an organization.  It is certainly
> appropriate for the local grassroots groups to support such legislation as
> they see fit.
>
> To the extent that there are meetings and discussions about HB5000, and
> thoughts about what would best support the initiative from the local
> community, please update http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Illinois   with details.
>
> Ed, I appreciate your focus on furthering this bill.  Please help everyone
> end up on the same page; beyond simply voicing frustrations.

Now that I know whom to talk to, no problem. The frustration was that
nobody told me anything helpful. Quite the opposite until just a few
minutes ago.

Well, there is one more thing. I e-mailed Darah Tappitake
<countries at laptop.org>, as I was instructed to, and got a form letter
back telling me to write to the same address. This is not encouraging,
but I did as I was told.

There is a serious management problem at OLPC, and I intend to do what
I can to get it addressed. Not just complaining, but asking people to
do things.

--
Edward Cherlin
http://www.EarthTreasury.org/