[OLPC-Chicago] Comfortable portable development machine

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed May 30 17:49:17 EDT 2007

Atul Varma wrote:
> When it comes to laptops, Linux can be a big hassle due to the
> variance in APM/ACPI implementations.  I believe that Ian Bicking once
> told me that he uses Windows on his laptop as a sort of "hardware
> abstraction layer": Windows plays nicely with his laptop's power
> management, allowing him to suspend and hibernate very easily, and he
> simply runs VMWare with a Linux VM image inside it to do all his
> actual work.  The fact that the Linux VM can be easily transported,
> backed-up, etc. is an added bonus.  (If you're reading this, Ian,
> please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Yeah, that's what I do, but it also sucks.  If you want to run Linux you
want to be very careful about what kind of laptop you buy.  Thinkpads
seem to be the best.  I saw someone who was really happy with their
small Vaio notebook, but I imagine it varies from one model to another;
the Vaio I had for a while never worked that well.