[OLPC-Chicago] Comfortable portable development machine

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Wed May 30 17:40:09 EDT 2007

When it comes to laptops, Linux can be a big hassle due to the
variance in APM/ACPI implementations.  I believe that Ian Bicking once
told me that he uses Windows on his laptop as a sort of "hardware
abstraction layer": Windows plays nicely with his laptop's power
management, allowing him to suspend and hibernate very easily, and he
simply runs VMWare with a Linux VM image inside it to do all his
actual work.  The fact that the Linux VM can be easily transported,
backed-up, etc. is an added bonus.  (If you're reading this, Ian,
please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.)

Hope this helps.

- Atul