[OLPC-Chicago] OLPC policy challenges

Scott Van Den Plas scottv at gmail.com
Fri May 18 09:54:36 EDT 2007

I have a feeling that the initial pilot programs using the XO hardware are
going to have a number of difficulties.  Between lack of buy in from
educational institutions, government corruption, and a black market for the
machines... I fear that the problems with the laptop are not even remotely
technical in nature.

I think that it would be wise to push the OLPC program in areas where these
policy problems are less of a risk.  The program should focus on areas that
already have infrastructure in place, stable governments, and political will
to make the program work, in order to increase the momentum of the program
overall.  First world buy in is absolutely required to fuel third world
progress.  From the OLPC wiki, the program is not opposed to a first world
roll out, they are just looking for government buy in.

The city of Chicago is a great place to start.  We are an education focused
city, with politicians who are actively seeking inventive education reform.
We are not afraid of technology, and the city itself has a massive amount of
momentum right now.  Over the last couple of years, Chicago has been seeking
RFP's for building out citywide wifi (I am unsure of the status of this
right now).  Google is actively seeking to expand their wireless reach (not
only through build outs, but also through a consortium lobbying the FCC).
It seems to me that there could be an incredible opportunity right here, for
both Google and Chicago.  Chicago needs the machines for children and the
infrastructure to support them.  Google is looking to expand their wireless
foothold and gain users/market share.  It seems to be a match made in
heaven.  Its possible that Chicago could grant Google rights to build out
the network, and in return, Google could subsidize the OLPC program locally.

Harper and I are planning on meeting with at least one local alderman to
demo the XO-1 and talk about the program.  I would love to hear any input
from all of you.  Is this a good idea?  Can this program work?  How can we
increase the visibility of the machine to the city council?

Thanks!

Scott Van Den Plas
www.morefishthanman.com