[OLPC-Chicago] Hi There...

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Tue May 1 11:52:56 EDT 2007

Chris McAvoy wrote:
> Hi olpc-chicago list,
>
> How's everyone doing?
>
> I've made a few attempts at getting a Sugar development environment
> together.  Most have been disappointing, but I haven't given up hope.
> Does anyone have a best-of-breed opinion on how to get Sugar up and
> running?

I downloaded the Gentoo image and got that running with VMWare player:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developer_Images#Second_Release_.28v2.29

I haven't explored the development a lot on that, though.  I started
Sugar and now I don't know how to stop it.  I've noticed virtualization
can cause stupid problems like this -- in this case two levels of
virtualization (Xnest inside VMWare) -- where you just can't get to the
appropriate controls.

I've downloaded the Fedora image:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Developer_Images#Fedora_Core_6_Build -- but I
can't convert it to VMWare on Windows.  I think it's a problem with the
latest qemu Windows release.  I'll have to try that on Linux; I think
it's something like:

   qemu-img convert OriginalImage.img -O vmdk NewImage.vmdk

But then you have to also write a config file.  There's some examples
online.  You can also just use qemu, which works pretty well on Linux,
but not as nicely on Windows (good enough for a demo, but slow).