[OLPC.ch] OLSR on OLPC

Lorenz Schori lorenz.schori at gmx.ch
Thu Jun 5 11:48:52 EDT 2008

Hi All

Because we briefly touched the subject of OLPCs meshing capabilities
(and limitations) yesterday at the OLPC-CH meeting in Berne I'd like to
point to a discussion which just came up on the developers mailing list
of olsrd, a routing daemon widely used in community wireless networks
like freifunk.net and openwireless.ch.

OLSR on OLPC?
http://lists.olsr.org/pipermail/olsr-dev/2008-June/002081.html

The big difference between OLSR and 802.11s is that the former
operates on OSI layer 3 and the latter on layer 2. This means that
OLSR sets up an appropriate routing table in each node while 802.11s
tries to emulate a very big switched network where every node is seen
as a one hop neighbor from each other.

There is a new and very promising competitor to OLSR called B.A.T.M.A.N
which was developed entirely by the wireless mesh networking community.
It does support both, routed and switched networks.
https://www.open-mesh.net/batman

Little bit off topic but perhaps someone is interested in this kind of
technical things and want to join me in exploring them ;)

Liebi Grüess
Lorenz