[OLPC.ch] from a rural zone in the south of Haiti - introduction of my self

Niklaus Giger niklaus.giger at member.fsf.org
Mon Aug 25 17:01:14 EDT 2008

Hi Corinne

As I was busy preparing the "Tag der Informatik" I had not yet time
to answer your nice introduction.

On Friday 22 August 2008 03.22:21 Corinne Wieser wrote:
> hello dear members
>
> Very interested in you project one computer for each child but only
> if school lesson will be put online too.
I suppose you mean the should be made availlable to everybody?
One of the core ideas of the OLPC is to use only free software (see
http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/) and per analogy this should also apply
(at least in my idea) to the content.  And there I think artists like you
can make very valuable contribution.
For the artists there are special licenses (e.g. http://creativecommons.org/)
also, as their needs are different from the programmers.
> So each child could have a equal chance if especially pedagogical
> lesson are developed for him.
> Books in poor countries are very poor too like the learning method.
> Have please a look on http://www.lynda.com this is what I could
> imagine, naturally made for child's and not adult's.
> A big bibliothek where each child could progress for itself. A local
> teacher could stay in a class and supervise a online lesson.
Please do not overestimate us. We are just about 10 persons funds
and are just trying to propagate the ideas of OLPC here in Switzerland.
And creating good content for each country is a hugh effort and I can imagine
that the governement in Haiti does neither have a lot of money nor dedication
to solving all the urgent problems.
> as a swiss graphic designer I'm working in Haiti since 16 years.
> Involved in development.
> Made Schoolbooks, manuals, actually working on a kindergardenbook
> (private initiative)
> Have a look on http://www.co-de-sign.net
It sure looks nice. A few weeks ago we had some contacts with
http://www.eduvision.ch/. They are trying to find ways how to put
traditional and new content into the OLPC and to get funding for it.

Could you please specify I little more, what you expect from us?
Or would you offer to give your books to the olpc foundation if they
get distributed and installed on the OLPC? Or are your looking for
them to get translated/adapted to other countries?

I wish you the very best for your work and am sure that the children
enjoy your school books!

Best regards

--
NIklaus Giger