[OLPC Bolivia] [IAEP] Fwd: Tour of Uruguay / Vuelta Ciclista del Uruguay

Frederick Grose fgrose en gmail.com
Dom Mar 13 18:35:48 EDT 2011

On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 3:33 PM, Carlos Rabassa <carnen en mac.com> wrote:

> English text follows after Spanish
>
> Acabamos de revisar y completar los dos artículos que ofrecimos en
> respuesta a la reciente solicitud de ideas para celebrar la próxima Vuelta
> Ciclista del Uruguay / Tour of Uruguay:
>
> S042 - Entendiendo la Bicicleta
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1T3GCDPTim8S84WqPq-wYb8Gc_UOzshADn237cm-IHzE
>
> S043 - Entendiendo el Cuerpo del Ciclista
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=14wg7c71iQkGJs2QrldQ75fS5DZCTjhCLPP4vRgrWFgQ
>
> English text:
>
> We have just completed an updated the two articles we offered in response
> to the recent request for ideas to celebrate the forthcoming Tour of Uruguay
> / Vuelta Ciclista del Uruguay.
>
> E042 - Understanding the Bicycle
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=19Dug-0DCk2520Fsx0hl-dzZDJp3cWVDWBDL-ik1Js14
>
> E043 - Understanding the Cyclist’s Body
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1v7oJJ0KEcmJ5cNpOokoxw0HgbWmu3ZOxX3QXNVpIBRs
>
> Carlos Rabassa
> Voluntario
> Red de Apoyo al Plan Ceibal
> Montevideo, Uruguay

Here is an interesting reverence:

A 'Perspectives' Psychology, article in SCIENCE (magazine), *Science Starts
Early*, by Frank C. Keil,
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6020/1022.summary
<http://www.sciencemag.org/content/331/6020/1022.summary>(full article
requires membership).
The follow-on sentence to the teaser in the summary is,

"Evidence is mounting, however, that young children are often quite adept at
uncovering statistical and causal patterns and that many foundations of
scientific thought are built impressively early in our lives."

One example given is about the digestive system:

"For example, while being completely ignorant about the biological details,
most preschoolers do know that food gets transformed after it enters the
body and that the transformed version is critical for helping the body to
grow and to move [1]."

The article goes on to discuss

"...certain broad intuitions and expectations about plausible and
implausible patterns."  One relates to an "essentialist bias": the idea that
something you can't see (e.g., "microstructural stuff") causes what you can
see ... and is the essence of the thing being observed."

that may apply for inferences drawn from patterns of covariance for
biological phenomena but not for physical phenomena.

[1] K. Inagaki, G. Hatano, *Curr. Dir. Psychol. Sci.* *15*, 177 (2006)

************

Second comment:
The word 'dirty' has many negative connotations in English and may not be
suitable as applied to the blood leaving the Tissues compartment. Perhaps
'waste-bearing' and 'purified' blood would match the sophistication of
'oxygenated'.  'Fresh' air -> 'exhaled' air might also match this level of
sophistication.

In this context, the diagram might be labeled, 'Material flow diagram of the
human body'.

Thanks for sharing!

       --Fred