[OLPC Bolivia] [squeakland] [IAEP] Plan Ceibal y/and General Electric

Chunka Mui chunka.mui en devilsadvocategroup.com
Sab Feb 5 16:32:04 EST 2011

Alan  --

I¹ve seen many organizations claim to be committed to ³innovation,² while
eschewing ³invention.²  Everyone harvesting while refusing to sow makes for
bad strategy, both societal and corporate.  I guess it¹s ³rational² in some
short-term sense and another example of the free rider problem.  There¹s an
insidious side-effect as well.  By rejecting invention, those organizations
implicitly or explicitly restrict the consideration set for even incremental
innovation.  It¹s hard to reach for even small aspirations if you¹re always
being told to not be ³too far out.² So my experience matches your general
point.

I don¹t make much experience, however, with the specific example that you
were referring to.  I¹d like to hear more about your perspective about the
guiding principles pre and post Œ82, and how each set of leaders/funders
rationalized their viewpoints.  I¹d also be interested in your sense of the
trend on this topic, since we have a new generation of high tech corporate
leaders and funders and, clearly, another round of massive wealth being
generated.

Regards,
Chunka

On 2/5/11 1:11 PM, "Alan Kay" <alan.nemo en yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi Chunka,
>
> I've been challenged on this point more than once, and have challenged back to
> come up with one invention that was done after 1980 that matches up to the top
> 10 done before 1980.
>
> This has not happened. I've been able to show the prior art for all
> suggestions.
>
> Essentially everything in the last 30 years has been commercializations and
> other forms of "innovation" based on what was funded by ARPA, ONR, and by
> extension, Xerox in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.
>
> The important point here is that there are many new inventions needed, and
> they can be identified, but no one has been willing to fund them. It's not
> that the early birds got the worms, but that most of the needed worms out
> there are being missed.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alan
>

> From: Chunka Mui <chunka en cornerloft.com>
> To: Alan Kay <alan.nemo en yahoo.com>
> Cc: Carlos Rabassa <carnen en mac.com>; "america-latina en squeakland.org"
> <america-latina en squeakland.org>; squeakland.org mailing list
> <squeakland en squeakland.org>; Maho 2010 <maho en realness.org>; IAEP SugarLabs
> <iaep en lists.sugarlabs.org>; voluntarios y administradores OLPC para usuarios
> docentes <olpc-sur en lists.laptop.org>; olpc bolivia
> <olpc-bolivia en lists.laptop.org>; OLPC Puno <olpcpuno en gmail.com>
> Sent: Sat, February 5, 2011 10:53:44 AM
> Subject: Re: [squeakland] [IAEP] Plan Ceibal y/and General Electric
>

> On Jan 30, 2011, at 9:21 AM, Alan Kay <alan.nemo en yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> GE is being congratulated for recognizing that the iPhone and iPad are pretty
>> good ideas and technological realizations. But isn't this like the
>> congratulations Bill Gates got for finally recognizing the Internet (about 25
>> years after it had started working)?
>>
>> Seems as though Apple had a lot more on the ball than Bill Gates or GE here
>> (they used to do computing in the 60s, but couldn't see what it was).
>>
>> And most of the ideas at Apple (and for personal computing and the Internet)
>> came from research funding that no company or government has been willing to
>> do since 1982.
>

> Alan -- Could you say more about this point?  Surely there's been tons of CS
> and IT funding since '82, both govt funding to universities and massive
> research budgets at msft, hp,
>
> Regards,
> Chunka
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alan
>>

>> From: Carlos Rabassa <carnen en mac.com>
>> To: america-latina en squeakland.org; squeakland.org <http://squeakland.org>
>> mailing list <squeakland en squeakland.org>; Maho 2010 <maho en realness.org>; IAEP
>> SugarLabs <iaep en lists.sugarlabs.org>; voluntarios y administradores OLPC para
>> usuarios docentes <olpc-sur en lists.laptop.org>; olpc bolivia
>> <olpc-bolivia en lists.laptop.org>; OLPC Puno <olpcpuno en gmail.com>
> [...]

The Devil¹s Advocate Group ‹ We Stress Test Your Innovation Strategies
http://www.devilsadvocategroup.com

Voice:  +1.312.870.0727  <== Note new phone number
Fax:     +1.877.350.0869