Sin asunto

Lun Feb 16 07:31:30 EST 2009

=2C but evidently the school is in sad shape. The mines are open now and mo=
re are opening=2C draining off the men and youth from the community.  Progr=
ess isn't always a good thing.

"La Doctora"=2C a Catholic medical doctor=2C who we stayed with when we vis=
ited Toropalca wrote a letter about 15 months ago to her sponsors in Belgiu=
m. It is in Dutch=2C but Google translate will change it to either English =
or Spanish.  She describes what has been happening and there are 2 pages of=
 photos with it.

I don't know what has happened in the time since she wrote it.  How has the=
 economy affected the mining industry?  Also=2C she was a real pillar of th=
e community=2C but was 85 years old when she wrote the letter.  I don't kno=
w if she is even alive any more.

But the CETHA learning center seems like it could be a place to do a deploy=
ment. There are many children who live up the allyu who don't go to school =
in Toropalca until they reach secondary school.  Then they come to town and=
 live at the school. The nuns from the center go up the allyu to visit all =
of them regularly and work with them and their families=2C working on adult=
 literacy among other things.

Wow! What if they could take XOs and solar chargers to each family and ther=
e could be an antenna to bring wifi to them?  Unbelievable!

Read la doctora's letter and check her pictures!  Here's the link:

http://www.kuleuven.be/vesaliusonline/severeyns.htm

Caryl=

--_f5609a78-fa33-4853-9613-1ec988673e1a_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Hi Yama and friends=2C<br><br>(Amigos=2C por favor se usa Google Translate =
si se necesita. =A1Gracias!)<br><br>I wanted to share a few photos I found =
on the web from Toropalca Bolivia where I would love to do a small deployme=
nt.&nbsp=3B When we were there=2C the mines were closed and the new CETHA l=
earning center hadn't been built.&nbsp=3B There was no power. There were no=
 books.<br><br>From the photos I can see that there is power now and they h=
ave some books=2C but evidently the school is in sad shape. The mines are o=
pen now and more are opening=2C draining off the men and youth from the com=
munity.&nbsp=3B Progress isn't always a good thing.<br><br>"La Doctora"=2C =
a Catholic medical doctor=2C who we stayed with when we visited Toropalca w=
rote a letter about 15 months ago to her sponsors in Belgium. It is in Dutc=
h=2C but Google translate will change it to either English or Spanish.&nbsp=
=3B She describes what has been happening and there are 2 pages of photos w=
ith it.<br><br>I don't know what has happened in the time since she wrote i=
t.&nbsp=3B How has the economy affected the mining industry?&nbsp=3B Also=
=2C she was a real pillar of the community=2C but was 85 years old when she=
 wrote the letter.&nbsp=3B I don't know if she is even alive any more.<br><=
br>But the CETHA learning center seems like it could be a place to do a dep=
loyment. There are many children who live up the allyu who don't go to scho=
ol in Toropalca until they reach secondary school.&nbsp=3B Then they come t=
o town and live at the school. The nuns from the center go up the allyu to =
visit all of them regularly and work with them and their families=2C workin=
g on adult literacy among other things.<br><br>Wow! What if they could take=
 XOs and solar chargers to each family and there could be an antenna to bri=
ng wifi to them?&nbsp=3B Unbelievable!<br><br>Read la doctora's letter and =
check her pictures!&nbsp=3B Here's the link:<br><br>http://www.kuleuven.be/=

--_f5609a78-fa33-4853-9613-1ec988673e1a_--