[OLPC-AU] udev rules for wedo

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Jul 14 14:05:24 EDT 2011

jerry wrote:
 > Hi all:
 >
 > Playing around with wedo, I've found that scratch is providing udev
 > rules for wedo and there are rules installed by olpc-utils. I'm
 > wondering if the rules provided by scratch should be used in place of or
 > in conjunction with the olpc provided rules in /etc/udev/rules.d. Here
 > are the contents of the 2 files for F11.
 >
 > 30-olpc-wedo.rules:
 >  # Lego WeDo
 > SYSFS{idVendor}=="0694", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", GROUP="dialout",
 > MODE="0660"
 >
 > 45-lego-wedo.rules:
 > # Lego WeDo
 > SYSFS{idVendor}=="0694", SYSFS{idProduct}=="0003", MODE="0666"
 >
 > Looks to me that what is provided by scratch should be part of
 > olpc-utils.

i believe scratch supplies rules because (at least at the time) it
could be installed on XO distributions that didn't include udev
rules at all.

and since the 'olpc' user is a member of group 'dialout', i think these
rules are equivalent in practice.  (except for use by 'other',
and i'm not sure how that would happen on an XO.)   both rules
give the olpc user read/write access to the device.

are you seeing a conflict or other problem?

paul