[OLPC-AU] Mass imaging

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jan 13 01:30:21 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 05:19:43PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> The challenge that we have is that there are 770 XOs in our warehouse
> that require the same treatment. Since they've been sitting on the
> shelves, they probably won't have sufficient battery power left for
> NANDblasting.

If the battery is not in the laptop, then the remaining capacity will
depend on the storage temperature in the warehouse and the number of
months.

Pull ten units, check the battery capacity.  That will give you an idea
of the size of the problem.  The percentage state of charge is *not*
updated by the battery itself if it is stored outside the laptop.

> What would be the best approach to deal with so many?
>
> I was thinking of this:
>   1. have an army of people :)
>   2. upgrade the firmware one-by-one
>   3. start the NANDblaster sender
>   4. once an XO starts to receive, place it in e-book mode and place
> it in the XOP charging rack

e-book mode isn't a good idea, since the heat release area on the back
cover is obscured.

I think you had better rack them for half an hour each, powered off,
then bring them into the sequence for firmware upgrade and NANDblaster
receive.  Half an hour's charging should provide enough run time for a
NANDblasting.

The next trouble you will face is telling the difference between a
successful NANDblasting and a laptop that has run out of battery power.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/