[OLPC-AU] Mass imaging

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Thu Jan 13 01:19:43 EST 2011

On 13 January 2011 16:48, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 04:27:30PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>> I've created a simplified version of OLPC's Nandblaster for XO-1.5
>> instructions, for XO-1.5s in Australian schools:
>> https://dev.laptop.org.au/projects/xo-au/wiki/Mass_imaging
>
> "Sender XO requires q3a50" please add "or greater".  There's no need to
> downgrade.
>
> End of the page is a bit repetitive.

Ah, thanks for that. The things you miss when you stare at the same
text for ages on end!

That approach should work fine for the schools.

The challenge that we have is that there are 770 XOs in our warehouse
that require the same treatment. Since they've been sitting on the
shelves, they probably won't have sufficient battery power left for
NANDblasting.

What would be the best approach to deal with so many?

I was thinking of this:
  1. have an army of people :)
  2. upgrade the firmware one-by-one
  3. start the NANDblaster sender
  4. once an XO starts to receive, place it in e-book mode and place
it in the XOP charging rack

This will ensure that the XOs are powered throughout the blasting process.

The danger is overheating. We will need to ensure ventilation and cooling.

Sridhar