[OLPC-AU] Questions on setting up the XS

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Feb 27 20:51:09 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:15:29PM +1100, Tracy Richardson wrote:
> Doug Angus is being shipped AU build XOs to his school in Zimbabwe. He is
> trying to set up the XS at the moment. He has some questions relating to the
> software installation on the server.
>
> His questions are as follows:
>
> 1.       Does the XS need to already have Fedora running or does it
> come in the package?

The .iso file contains Fedora and the XS software.  There is no need to
have Fedora already running, it comes in the .iso file.

> 2.       Does he need to copy the .iso file only or all five available
> from the website?

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/XS_Installing_Software says to install the
latest.  Not five.

The file OLPC_XS_LATEST.iso is a link to OLPC-School-Server-0.6-i386.iso

> 3.       He wants to boot from a CD- is there anything extra he needs
> to put on the CD?

No.

The image must be burned to CD as an image, not as a file.  It is quite
difficult to put something else on a CD during such a process, so I'm
worried that he might be burning as a file.

James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/